Thursday, June 30, 2011

Let Me Teach You A Thing Or Two...

I just submitted an application to teach a workshop at the 2012 AMTA convention. "The Business Plan Demystified". I've spent the last month reading a lot about standard business plans and thinking about how to adapt that to the reality of massage therapists.

The application wasn't long but I often find "official" educational applications in the massage industry to be a real headache. Part of the headache is the detail they ask for (did they really expect me to include a copy of my college degree?) and some of it is that I know massage and I understand business (from a massage therapist's point of view) but I'm less knowledgeable about the requirements of education -- learning outcomes, how the classroom set-up relates to learning outcomes, etc.

The AMTA and NCBTMB (the biggies in this field) are upholding high standards, this is true. But they're upholding them against a population that isn't trained to meet those standards. We know massage and we have a wealth of information to share with each other. But if we aren't trained in educational standards and lingo, we're at a loss. It's a huge roadblock to many of us.

The AMTA and NCBTMB aren't offering us that education either. Where are we going to get it? It's in the profession's best interest to teach us how to teach. But it's not being done. I'd love to sponsor that kind of training but first I'd have to find someone who knows how to teach it and is willing to teach it to MTs. Haven't found that person yet.

I belong to a profession that is in a massive period of growth and change. Some days, that feels like a great birthing. Some days it feels like a mighty menstrual cramp (sorry menfolk but that's just the image I'm stuck with!).

No comments:

Post a Comment