Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It Makes Me Wonder

I've made the point here before that how you handle the business side of your practice affects how your clients look at you as a massage therapist. I had an experience today that underlined that for me.

I had an appointment with a therapist (licensed clinical social worker-type therapist, not MT) at 3:30. At 3:25 I walked into her waiting area, right behind her and one other woman. Since she's been late for every other appointment I've had with her, I was both delighted she wasn't running late with the previous session but also wondering who the other woman was.

The therapist showed the other woman into her office and I took a seat at the (always unstaffed) desk because I find her chairs uncomfortable. The therapist came back out into the waiting area. She asked me to sit on one of the couches rather than at the desk in the office because her confidential files were stored in the desk. I didn't check to see if the drawers were locked.

And then she walked out.

10 minutes later she hadn't returned. I left her a note. It said:
I have arranged my day to ensure I could be here for our 3:30 appointment. I need you to do the same. We will need to re-schedule.
And I left. 1-1/2 hours later, I still have not received a call from her.

I find myself wondering just how effective her consultations, advice, and perspective will be. Just how professional is she? She appears to be distracted, even in the sessions (she spends a significant amount of time with her back to me while she rummages through drawers for files, throwing questions over her shoulder). Do I truly have her undivided attention and her imagination? Are my confidential files out there in the waiting room for anyone cooling their heels for another late appointment? Is she tired and over-booked? If so, what am I really getting from her?

Technically, all my complaints with her are about the "business" side of her practice so should I presume that she's a good therapist but a poor administrator? Does her inability to keep up with her schedule say anything relevant about the quality of her therapy?

When we operate in a slipshod manner in any part of our practice, it reflects on the whole. Our clients may not separate "treatment" from "business practices" any more than I am with this woman. Your business practices absolutely can affect how your clients see you, even in the treatment room.

No comments:

Post a Comment