Thursday, November 17, 2011

An Extra-Happy Check

Tonight one of my regular clients who has been taking advantage of my Pay What You Can policy handed me a check for the full amount. Her company went out of business in the spring and she's been keeping things together with temp work and unemployment since then. She recently started a 4-month contract and is getting a regular paycheck.

Hence, a check for the full price of the massage.

That's one of the many reasons I've decided to continue my PWYC policy -- I trust that people really will pay me what they can. I trust that people who are currently paying me a portion of my posted fees will pay me full price when they can.

I know the client was very happy to be able to write a check for the full amount. I was happy too -- yes, it's nice to get the full amount but when I looked at the check what I felt was her fullness. I felt all the security and relief and happiness that full-amount check represented to her and for her and I was even more happy for her than I was for me.

When the contract ends, she may have to start writing smaller checks again. I'm glad I can continue to offer her that option. She's a good woman and a good client and it feels good to be in partnership with her as her massage therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment