Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I Quit!!

How hard do you have to work to make it work?

Since I moved back to DC from Australia in August, I have been re-building my practice. Creating a new website. Re-connecting with my client base. Arranging a location to practice. This blog. New business cards. New bank account. Re-connecting with referral sources. New marketing material.

It's all takes time and energy. And then some more time. And then some more energy. And some more and some more and some more.....so much, in fact, that I wonder sometimes what my job actually is -- massaging people or managing a practice of massaging people!

I have to admit that after 9 months of trying to build a thriving practice I'm tired of the time and the energy. When you're building a thing you're carrying it on your shoulders. When the practice becomes regular it will help carry me. Till then....

But I'm also wondering if there's such a thing as trying too hard.

Most of us in the healing arts have heard (and talked about) putting "it" out to the Universe. "It" is often our highest desire -- a healthy practice, new clients, a solid income stream, etc. As I've told many students: that's fine as long as it's not the only thing you do to build a healthy massage practice (and, yes, I've known someone who honestly thought he should only have to "put it out to the Universe" and clients would come streaming to him).

I've decided it may be time to give myself a break. For the next month, I'm just going to do the massages and not worry so much about the attracting-people-to-be-massaged part. If there is wisdom to "putting it out to the Universe" I wonder if I've left enough time and energy to respond if the Universe does want to send something my way.

30 days of less "doing" of marketing etc. and 30 days of just "doing" massage. Heaven knows I need the break! What about you? Is the "doing" of building a practice robbing you of the joy of "doing" massage?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly - well said and how we can all relate! No matter what we do when we are self-employed we struggle with this same issue. It's too easy for the marketing activities to consume us - and yes, take a break and do the massaging, I agree. Happy clients feeling great and spreading the word about you will probably provide the impetus for your business growth that you are seeking... and replenish your energy too. You need the connection just as much as they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already I feel better about going to work and I've actually seen some new clients! I'm just a little too skeptical to say that stepping back a little *immediately* sent me new clients but it definitely made it easier to focus on them and enjoy the work (instead of focusing on 'what sorts of things should I say/do to make them a repeat client??').

    ReplyDelete