Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Why Wouldn't It Be (a) hard or (b) easy?

It's been just about a year since I've moved back to DC from Brisbane Australia. It hasn't been an easy move. I still miss Brisbane and still struggle to accept DC again.

The two cities are different in so many ways but the quickest way to sum up their differences?

DC: "well, why shouldn't [it] be hard?"
Brisbane: well, why shouldn't [it] be easy?"

I've been thinking about this divide the last few days in relation to my massage practice. Since re-opening my practice last August I've been working hard to re-build my client base. So very very hard. Sadly, all that hardness is not showing up in my schedule.

So I read the other blogs, I read the websites, I respond to the emails, I read the books, I take the classes and webinars that all purport to show me how to do the hard work necessary to re-build my practice. My to-do list gets longer and longer and longer and I get tireder and tireder and tireder.

And I think that -- having done it the hard way for the last 11 months -- I'm going to try the Brissy way for the next 6 months. I'm going to walk into each day with the "why shouldn't it be easy" attitude. I'm going to do the baseline things I need to do -- keep the website current, write my quarterly newsletter, keep up this blog -- but otherwise I'm going to face each day as though it is and can be easy.

I'm going to do the work with love and joy. I'm going to dial down the "fret" and turn up the trust. I'm a good therapist who enjoys working with people. I will spread the word about my practice and my work in all the easy ways that are available to me.

Easy is not a bad word. And it might even be true.

2 comments:

  1. I really don't seem to gain any more clients beating myself into the ground than taking a gentler approach. As you know, I am not a religious person, but I have found that the more I let go, the more things get better. The one extra client I gain from working it "hard" sometimes just doesn't equal the battering I give my spirit. Brisbane sounds like a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always end up working in very busy low paided massage establishments that you burn out quickly in ..it always takes time to build clients they just neet to experience you.....i am 6 miles from dc ..so you can post on my page

    ReplyDelete