Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Contraindications for Business

I've been moving much more slowly for the last month or two because of  my mom's death. I've decided this is not the time for big decisions or significant changes to my practice.


It's not easy, frankly. I don't think I'm unusual in that when I'm in a period of transition, especially one that's best served by moving low-and-slow, I just want to do something. It's also tempting to want to change things as a distraction from all these messy emotions.

So many of us are already not operating from our strongest position when it comes to the business aspect of our practices, especially if it involves money or numbers. If you add the complicating factors of personal loss, change, or pain and that's a recipe for a bad decision.

The recovery community used the acronym HALT to identify the times when you shouldn't make big decisions.

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

I'd probably add Scared or Loss (SHALLT?).

But sometimes you don't have that luxury. You've already started some change or circumstances force you to make significant decisions. It happens. That's a time to take advantage of trusted colleagues and friends. Bring them into the decision-making process. Have them "check your work", offer feedback. Take advantage of additional brains, eyes, and hearts.

I had coffee yesterday with business coach Jodi Scholes. Last year I had decided that one of my goals in 2014 was to move my practice out of the house. I want to do that even more right now (probably that "I want to do something" urge).

I was able to lay out all my circumstances and get her feedback on both moving my practice and how to be ready for some of the other possible changes later this year. I had so many options and opportunities floating around in my head I was getting a headache! She was able to cut through the confusion and see some things I hadn't seen and help me dream bigger than I would have on my own.

All while encouraging me to do this as slowly as I can. It was great advice and I feel a lot calmer. More importantly, I feel supported. I'm not alone. I have someone I can trust and turn to.

It'll be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment