Monday, September 27, 2010

One Last Reason To Go To Conventions

I roomed in Minneapolis with fellow PMTI alum Pauline Lockard. It was her first AMTA convention and it was interesting to see everything -- the AMTA, the convention, massage therapists -- through her eyes.

But maybe the best part happened on Saturday. She had the morning free so she decided to walk through downtown Minneapolis to the Mississippi River. Along the way, she discovered the glory that is the Mississippi River, a farmers market, an Oktoberfest (with an oompah band, natch), and a nice walking trail along the banks of the river.

She came back with a look of wonder and delight on her face. She could not stop talking about how delightful it all was. How surprised she was by how simply pleasant it was.

I took a walk that same morning, though I never made it to the river. First, I stopped in at the Jean Stephen Galleries because they had a special exhibit of Dr. Seuss prints. I had a long chat with the owner about the Dr. Seuss work as well as about several other artists presented there. Some entrancing and engaging work in many different media. I'm very glad I stopped in. I really wish I was in a position to buy art.

I also stopped for brunch at one of the few food options open on a Saturday morning downtown -- Ike's Food & Cocktail. Wow. When you sit down, they place a sticky bun on your table the same way another restaurant would place bread sticks. They call it the "big as your head sticky bun" and, well, they're right. It's as large around as my face and about 2 inches high.


And it's a freebie. I just kept staring at it with my jaw dropped. The waitress said, in effect, "yeah, we get that alot". You can supplement that with an all-you-can-eat breakfast for $18.


Seriously? Because you imagine I haven't eaten in a week?


I ordered a chicken sandwich. While I waited for it, I managed to nibble my way half-way through that sticky bun despite my earnest intention not to touch it. What could I do? It was just sitting there!


The chicken sandwich arrived. Like far too many chicken breast offerings at American restaurants, it was overcooked and dry. I nibbled the two slices of bacon off it. Discovered the cheddar cheese was excellent and ate that off too.


When the waitress came back to inquire after my satisfaction, I mentioned I wasn't going to eat the sandwich because it was overcooked. She quickly offered to have the kitchen make me another one. Whereupon I had to admit that I had, uh, also kinda sorta ruined my appetite with the sticky bun so I wasn't actually hungry any more.


And she took the chicken sandwich off my bill anyways. So I got a sticky bun, bacon, and cheese for breakfast for the price of a soda.


That, my friends, is genuine Minnesota. These people are as nice as Garrison Keillor keeps telling us they are.


I burped my way back to the hotel and convention center.


When a lot of my friends in DC heard where the convention was this year, their general reaction was "Minneapolis?? Why would I want to go there??????" I was quick to defend Minneapolis but I think part of the low turnout this year was that people didn't think there was anything interesting to see/do/eat in Minneapolis.


They were wrong.


This is a sweet little city and a sweet not-so-little state. I don't want to live here because it's also the upper midwest and I know from experience that I can't take the winters. But I was grateful for the chance to visit a city I think is an under-appreciated gem of a city and call it a business expense.


The AMTA convention, or any other business trip, gives you an opportunity to see a new place with a new set of eyes. I discovered Powell's World of Books through an AMTA convention. I took the time to explore Sedona as a side-trip from the Phoenix AMTA convention. I have a new appreciation for Cincinnati thanks to the AMTA convention.


Get up, get out, go. Or at least give it some serious consideration. You might just discover the next Sticky Bun Of Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment