Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Little Truth-Telling

I laid in bed Tuesday night having a major pity party. Husband out of town. Hurricane. Hospitalization for appendicitis (with surgery yet to come). A friend who's let me down. Mom doing poorly and I can't help her.

A pathetic massage practice.

It's depressing. I've done everything I can think of and everything I've been advised to do and after more than a year of hard work, it's still an excellent week if I get four (4!) bookings.

If it weren't for my husband (and how many of us would be screwed without a partner with a steady income?), I'd be on welfare. In the past 12 months, I've averaged $1,000 per month. That's enough for food or housing but not both.

And I write a freakin' business blog....

It's hard to write this. It's hard to admit how poorly I'm doing, financially, as a massage therapist. Especially since every week I try to impart some useful wisdom or insights into the business of massage. My husband keeps saying "it's a really tough time to be a small business". It is, of course, complicated by closing my practice for a year so we could live in Australia. I'm, effectively, starting over.

But, wow, it's demoralizing. I often feel like a failure. If I'm doing just a little poorly physically, it's darned hard to convince myself to drive up to the gym where I work two days a week (I work out of my home the rest of the time) just in case someone wants massage (they tend to book same day rather than in advance).

Why am I sharing my tale o' woe here? Because I don't want to deceive you even a little bit. I don't want to give you the impression that I Know Everything and I've Got Everything Under Control. Because, wow, I don't. I will still write about business from the best I've learned but even knowing a lot of great stuff doesn't guarantee financial success.

If you're having a hard time, you are not alone. I'm with you.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your brutal honesty. I appreciate your putting out there the good and the bad, the difficult and the sailing-with-a-great-breeze experiences. I certainly couldn't make it without my spouse, either. May your day begin to look up. May you remember that your contribution to the world is all of who you are and all you offer. Every smile counts, and you share bazillions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling this story. I have no spouse to support me and I work a second job to "support my massage habit"! I also relocated across the country and had to restart my business. It has been so tough, challenging, and frustrating. It is good to hear of others struggles too- makes me realize that I am not alone.
    Thank you and I hope your business picks up very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have a husband to fall back on - I HAD to make it work or get a job. I made it work - started from scratch 25 years ago and today have 5 studios and am at the $2.7 million mark. I created a marketing biz in a box for therapists because i see so many struggling, YOU can make it work absolutely. I opened 2 studios last year in this "poor" economic time and if I can create success anybody can. Massage biz in a box - www.createasteadystreamofclients.com no risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I am noticing, Shelene, is that practices that were thriving here in DC before the recession are still doing OK. Maybe a little drop in business but still stable. It's the ones that had just opened or have opened in the last 4 years that are really struggling.

    If I hadn't moved to Australia (and closed my practice for a year), I suspect I'd still be doing fine. But I'm, in effect, a new practice and it is some kinda tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly,
    I appreciate your honest post and can relate. This economy has been difficult and it's a struggle for many of us. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete