Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Throw A Party

If you don't know, I live in Washington DC. We have been shut down as a city for the last 2 days because of Hurricane Sandy. This, of course, did nothing good for my business!

The worst of the weather was Monday night. By Tuesday, everyone was coming out and assessing the damage (we had none, blessedly). I had a wide open schedule staring me in the face. I decided to throw a party.

Specifically, I threw a "Hurricane Sandy Massage Party". I figured that people who could walk to my home office might be also stuck at home, also needing a little R&R, and might like to learn that there's a massage therapist mere blocks from their house.

I put a notice on the home page of my website and Facebook. I sent notices to neighborhood listserves. The notices said it was for only 1 day (today) and it was Name Your Own Price.

How many responses did I get? Exactly 1. But that's one more than I would have had otherwise and now there are a couple hundred people who've learned there's a massage therapist in their neighborhood.

Cost to me?  $0 and about 3 hours (updating website, sending notices).

Will that client be a regular? No. After our session he complimented me on my work but explained he needed something slightly different from what I can offer. I said I'd email him the names of several MTs I think he should try. He was surprised and pleased by my offer. That email has gone out. He will remember me when someone mentions that they wish there were MTs in our neighborhood.

Is it time for you to throw a party??

No comments:

Post a Comment