Thursday, August 15, 2013

Take Care of Myself, Take A Business Deduction

I leave on Saturday for a 2-week vacation in the San Francisco Bay area. I just booked a massage for myself on Sunday in San Francisco. I'm taking it as a business deduction.

How?

I will, of course, physically benefit from massage (been working hard, body mechanics have not been what they should be...). But I'm specifically choosing a place that comes highly recommended by a fellow MT. He used to work there and loved it. I want to see what makes them such a great place to be a client and to work. I want to see how their business runs and I want to see how they approach a session and how they approach the work.

With any luck, I'll learn something I can apply to my work and my business. I also hope to learn something I can impart to my students in my business classes. If it's really good, I'll be posting it here.

That's how I'm making it a business discussion -- with my intent. It really is a huge part of how you justify a business expense.

I learned this from someone I consider the master, Margo Bowman (LMT and accountant). If you'd like to learn some of these secrets of the trade, she'll be in Washington DC in October. I can't recommend her classes enough!

Thursday, October 24: How the 2013 Tax Changes Affect You (2 hours)
Friday, October 25: Getting Your First Year Started Right (7 hours)
Saturday & Sunday, October 26-27:  Taxes & Bookkeeping for the Healing Arts Professional

CEs are available for MTs.

No comments:

Post a Comment