Tuesday, December 10, 2013

You're a small business (or possibly not)

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you'll know I believe it's important for massage therapists to take themselves seriously as businesses. Just think carefully about calling yourself a small business.

When I look at products or services targeted to small businesses, I become baffled. How would I use that? When would I need this other thing? What would I do with that doohickey? There are so many offerings that are still too big for me.

If you're working on your own, you're a micro business. And there aren't a lot of products and services specifically targeted to us.

I've been researching bookkeeping software the last few weeks. The two big names in the field are Quicken and QuickBooks. When people recommend QuickBooks, they often say it's the "most popular bookkeeping software for small businesses". While Quicken is "only" good for the home.

QuickBooks is a good package for a small business. But, holy cow, I can't imagine using it for my practice! For a one-person practice that doesn't bill clients, prepare estimates, etc. it looks much too complicated. I use Quicken for home finances and I find it also works just fine for my practice.

Why does this matter? Often (too often) I hear MTs say they're going to use [fill in the blank] because it's "best for small businesses". If it doesn't work well for them they often blame themselves. They must be using it wrong. Or perhaps they're just not smart enough. Or maybe they are fooling themselves to think they are a "real" business.

The odds are: no, you're not (using it wrong, dumb, or foolish).

When you are having trouble finding products or services that are "right-sized" for a micro business, don't be surprised. Be critical of small business products / services; by that I mean really evaluate whether it will work for your business. Be willing to say that a popular "small business" product or service just isn't right for you.

Even though you are really and truly a business (and need to take yourself seriously as a business!).

No comments:

Post a Comment