Wednesday, February 18, 2015

What A Pleasant Surprise!

I received a gift certificate to a local restaurant worth more than $100 from another MT last week. Why did he do that? To say "thank you".

When I moved to Australia 4.5 years ago (which is also when I started this blog) I referred out all of my clients to other local MTs. I thought long and hard about what clients came to me for and chose a couple of MTs that I thought could "fill in" for me while I was gone.

If you've read this blog for a while you'll know that I did such a good job of picking those "fill in" MTs that very few of my clients returned to me when I came back! Turns out, being closed for a year may mean you get to start over from scratch when you come back.

One of those MTs ended up with one of my favorite weekly clients. In addition to forming a great relationship, it's been profitable for him. Which is why he sent the gift certificate (later than he'd wanted to he said).

I definitely wasn't expecting that. But, wow, what a lovely gesture!

There are those who think you should get paid for every client you refer to another MT. Some think you should be paid in perpetuity. I'm not one of those people. It stung to have very few of my clients return but I was genuinely happy that I'd chosen my successors well.

I'm also genuinely touched that this MT sent this gift. It's much appreciated and I'll do the same if the situation arises for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment