Monday, March 28, 2011

Show Me The Money

A former student, Sandi Kissane (of Norman OK), just announced a new fee structure for her massage practice. I'll let her explain it:

I've been considering alternative fee structures with the primary goal of making massage therapy more affordable to more people. Most people recognize the many health benefits of massage therapy but most also acknowledge that the current market value of a one-hour massage (60.00 or more) is cost prohibitive and does not allow them to utilize massage on a regular basis. Massage is often relegated to a luxury item that rarely makes it into the budget.

So here, I am introducing my new fee schedule which I think you'll find very simple and affordable. Fees are based solely on what you decide best fits into your budget. There is no tipping although if you decide you would like to tip, I'd prefer a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in lieu of (find their link on my Links page).

60 minute massage -- 30$ minimum/50$maximum
90 minute massage -- 45$minimum/50$maximum
Hot Stones may be added for 10$ more

That's it...simple and straightforward pricing!

Sessions are by appointment so call for availability.

Rest assured, you will receive the best massage I offer, each and every time regardless of your fee!


Sandi says she's been getting some flack/teasing from other MTs in her area about this announcement. I did too, when I announced my Pay What You Can pay structure.

Many of us struggle to accept ourselves as business people and to be comfortable asking for what our work is worth. Because we struggle, we often have a very strong connection in our head between what we're paid and how seriously we're taken.

Becoming a business person -- and setting our fee schedules -- turns out to be a very personal journey. What we do reflects the nuances of our professional identity deep within ourselves. When we are working on taking ourselves seriously financially, it's incredibly important to set a market-value price and stand behind it.

Not everyone is in that same place. I've got other challenges in my self-understanding as a business person so I can offer a Pay What You Can fee schedule. Sandi can offer a minimum/maximum fee schedule.

Should we all offer a variable fee schedule? No. Each of our businesses are different, even if they look the same to the outside observer. What is important is that you be honest with yourself about what you need from your business, what your challenges are, and how your business policies and fees can reflect that.

I hope the massage-consuming public in Norman OK understands this and gets a chance to experience Sandi's work and generosity.

1 comment:

  1. My goal as a massage therapist has always been to keep bodywork affordable. But I have also been blessed with the ability to do so by having a good retirement pension and the ability to work from home. Thanks to some helpful instruction (Thanks Kelly) I have been able to meet my goals every year. My fees are all inclusive but tips are also appreciated and humbling all at the same time. Where there is a need identified there is no fee requested. I like to be able to make those calls by myself.

    ReplyDelete