Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Ultimate Narcissism?

It occurs to me that writing a book is, at its core, a supreme act of narcissism.

Here I sit, nobody in particular, devoting time and energy to creating something that's all about...me. My ideas, my philosophies, my experiences, my observations.

Then I'm going to put it out there in the world -- in print and electronically -- and tell you that you should give me some money for it. That my ideas, philosophies, experiences, and observations are going to be so valuable to you that you'll be happy to give me money for it.

Doesn't that sound like narcissism?

It's what all writing is, fiction and non-fiction. It's a quest fueled from deep within by a drive to share the stuff that floats around in writers head. Some of it is self-defense (I have got to get this stuff out of my head!) and some of it is supreme self-confidence (and it's so valuable that you'll be glad I did!).

I started writing stories when I was a kid. I got my BA in journalism. I spent 20 years as a technical writer and I still write newsletters and this blog. I can't stop myself!

Apparently my writerly narcissism is too well-established to ever be able to break free. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment