Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Wish I Knew What I Was Doing

I spent this past weekend at my annual business retreat. I usually spend one day analyzing the past year and one day planning the year to come.

The last year didn’t have much to “analyze” since I didn’t start working again until August. I spent more time thinking about what I want out of 2012, professionally. Success in 2012 comes down to “marketing” almost every time:
  • Grow my client base so I can see more clients each week
  • Find other MTs and healers to share space 
  • Meet the minimum registrations for 6 workshops 
  • Finish one book and find a publisher
Even after 12 years I’m really guessing when it comes to marketing, promotion, and increasing my visibility.  I know what people talk about and suggest -- speaking engagements, websites, Facebook, flyers, direct mail, etc. -- but I can’t tell you what absolutely works. It’s frustrating, even discouraging. It can leave me face-planted on my desk, frankly.

And I write about business (and even about marketing)! Shouldn’t I know? Am I totally scamming you by writing a blog about business when this major piece of business (marketing) is still a mystery to me?

More desk face-planting.

I don't have a degree in business, an MBA, an accounting degree, or any formal training. All I have is what I read and what I've learned a long the way. Some days, that works really well for me. Some days it doesn't.

I can only plod along, trying the things I think will work (and that I'm willing to do) and hope for the best. That's business.

No comments:

Post a Comment