Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Do Business Owners Take Vacations?

If you're a business owner, do you take vacations?

Yes and no.

I'm in Key West this week (and, yes, it's as lovely as you think it is!). It's a much needed vacation after 3 months of surgery recovery, Mom-relocation, and frenzied class preparation (which I taught last weekend in Orlando and it went great!). I need this vacation.

But I'm also online daily checking to see if anyone wants to schedule a massage next week (really need to get that online scheduling set up!).

I also started accepting credit cards last week so I've been checking my bank account daily to see how long it really takes the payments to get in there, when the fees show up, what they are, etc. Last Thursday's payments hadn't shown up and they should have.

So I spent about 30 minutes working with Intuit to figure out what was wrong. They were very helpful and we figured out, um, it was my fault. I'd run those two transactions incorrectly.

Then it was on to email to contact both clients. Would they let me call them and run the transactions again online? They graciously said yes so I also made two phone calls this morning to (successfully) re-run those transactions.

I've also had a chance to swim laps (yes, that's me swimming laps in the hotel pool) and we're about to get on a tour bus and we plan to see Hemingway's house this afternoon.

So, yes, I'm on vacation (and enjoying it). But, no, I don't ever leave my business entirely behind.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, until you can get to the point of having someone else take care of things. A business is like a child, it's yours and you have to take care of it even when you don't want too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I'm very jealous, I love the keys!!! I got married down there. :)

    ReplyDelete