Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How do we find us?

I had a chat with a housing / relocation guy today who is a big fan of massage therapists. In fact, he says he has 3 or 4 that he goes to, since he tends to be a "last minute" kind of client and needs a couple he can call to get last minute availability.

I mentioned that I'd been looking around for MTs and was only finding them in spas, hotels, and salons. I asked if there were group practices or if most MTs that he knew were working on their own, by themselves out of their homes or in rented space.

He confirmed my observations that it's either salon/spa/hotel or solo practitioner.

That's a definite "step" in the evolution of our profession. If it's like the US, they haven't quite gotten to the group practice / consortium level. That comes when we have enough MTs who've been in practice long enough to discover some of the disadvantages of working alone and, therefore, wanting to work with other MTs.

I'm not suggesting there's anything inherently wrong with working alone or in isolation. However, what I'm finding is that those MTs working alone aren't necessarily advertising through that most common of search tools -- the internet.

So how does a consumer like me find them? If they're relying on word of mouth, I'm kind of out of luck. I don't know anyone here to share word-of-mouth with! I'm counting on the internet to hook me up with a good MT, darn it.

I'll keep looking but I'd really like to connect with some MTs not working in (in my opinion over-priced) salons/spas/hotels. My back could use a little love.....

No comments:

Post a Comment