Thursday, August 19, 2010

You need a website. You really do.

I have told new massage therapists and MT students that there are two things you should do right away when getting started to market your practice -- business cards and a website.

Business cards are super easy to get. A basic website is not a whole lot more difficult.

In both cases, I've found that the #1 reason MTs don't have them is that they get stuck on the design. It is less important that it be "perfect" and more important that it "exist".

I'm so frustrated here in Brisbane that I can only find spas on the web when searching for massage therapy. I've found one whose prices are similar to DC but the rest are "spa-priced".

It's not that I don't think spas should exist. However, they put sooooo much effort into creating a certain kind of space and ambience that they have to have higher prices to maintain the that. I care less about the ambience than I do about what happens on the table. So paying extra for the space is pointless for me.

Just give me a good massage in a private room with a non-wobbly table. I'll deal with the rest of it.

But if individual MTs don't advertise their existence, how can a person who is new to town (or new to massage) find you???

What does a business card need to contain, at a minimum?

- Your name
- Your profession (so they know why they have your card when they pull it out of their wallet in 3 months)
- At least one way to contact you

If you've got that on your business card, you're good to go.

What does a website need to contain, at a minimum?

- Your name
- Your profession
- How to contact you
- Where you're located
- Your price(s)

You can, of course, get much more involved than that. At some point, I would encourage you to get more fancy than that. But to get started, at least get that up. You can easily change / modify / expand your website (and your business cards) down the road but at least give me, the poor clue-less would-be client, something to start with!

(grumble)(grumble)(grumble)

Off to continue my search for an (affordable) MT in Brisbane.

No comments:

Post a Comment