Sunday, November 14, 2010

On the Strength of My Own Determination

While I was at the AMTA conference in September, I introduced myself to each publisher that was there. I explained my business book and talked to them about whether it was something they would be interested in.

Most of them focus on textbooks and I don't really envision this as a textbook. Lippincott Wilkins and Williams (the biggest publisher in our biz) were at least intrigued. I got a biz card and said I'd follow up when I got back to Brisbane.

Which I did. And heard back on Friday that they are unlikely to be interested in the book. They feel they already have enough "massage business" books.

sigh

I'm glad she responded. She encouraged me to keep writing, if for no other reason than because I clearly believe so strongly in the book. And I will. I do believe in this book and I really want to write it.

I'll focus on self-publishing now (once I figure out how that actually works). I don't know that this book will ever be a best-seller, even in our small industry. But I still believe it has value. I still believe it's unique. And I'll keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment