Thursday, November 4, 2010

Touching Professionally and Non-Professionally

While I'm here in Brisbane, I'm taking the chance to meet some locals through an organization called CouchSurfing that I'm active in at home in DC. This morning I had tea with a beautiful young woman, Erica Field, who's a performance artist.

One of her favorite shows to take part in is called "Six Women In Front Of A White Wall" by the Little Dove Theater (she's on the far left in this pic). The premise is, as the name implies, 6 women stand in front of a white wall on stands, "acting out" somewhat in the Japanese Butoh tradition. The audience is invited to come up and touch the women. The women react honestly to the touch.

Erica talked about the profound nature of putting yourself up to be touched by strangers and the challenge of responding honestly. She talked about the profound things she has seen from audience members when they are invited to touch strangers but knowing that they will respond honestly to how they feel about the touch.

Of course, we talked about the intersection of that performance experience and the massage therapy experience. Vulnerability. Honesty. Touch. The necessity of being totally present to the experience.

I had a flash that it would be fascinating to have that performance performed at, say, an AMTA convention. How different would it be when the audience touches strangers every day (naked strangers to boot!)?

How different would it be for us to touch strangers with intention but not in our official roles as massage therapists? The balance of power shifts. While the audience is the one that decides whether or not to touch, the performers "control" the space by being the ones who initiated the experience and are the ones who will have the freedom to react honestly and immediately (something our clients don't always do). They're the "pros" in this setting, where we're the "pros" when we touch in session.

What happens when someone else is creating and has final control over the touch experience? Can we just....touch? Could we touch without the overwhelming urge to rub, to massage?

I hope I get a chance to see this performance some day. I imagine I will be one of the ones who want to touch but how will the performer respond to my non-professional touch? I hope I get to find out.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the convention expression is a wonderful idea (someone in Evanston should pick up on that, but the Chapter could sponsor its own event). When I first started my PhD program, at the end of our orientation week, our anchor groups were invited to perform skits for each other and the faculty. Our mentor joined us in a modern dance rendition to the backdrop of Dr. Seuss readings. It was memorable, and helped us bond in ways we have held close over the years. Count me in.
    I came across a relevant study this week: Cynthia Berrol (2006). Neuroscience meets dance/movement therapy: Mirror neurons, the therapeutic process and empathy. I am using it in my dissertation: I think it has application to what we do also.
    I welcome this postmodern talk!
    Thanks for staying in touch and enlightening us; travel is broadening, yes?

    warmly
    Luann

    ReplyDelete